Sunday, November 19, 2006

Hell's Kitchen...my first restaurant review

Todd and I had heard about this place while listening to the Splendid Table, which is a talk radio show he turns on at 6am on Sunday mornings. Yes, I said 6AM...on SUNDAY! I hear that's grounds for divorce.

But, I digress.

The host had talked about wild rice porridge that was "just fabulous" and they make their own peanut butter and jellies. Apparently, they make all sorts of their own stuff, and since we were heading downtown last Sunday, I figured I would step outside my own little box of a world and eat somewhere new.

The wait was about 45 minutes because we had no reservations (we got there around noon) so we wandered around downtown wasting time until we could devour the "Damn Good Food". It must be true because it said it on the window!

An hour later, give or take, we were seated. The service was ok, nothing great, she couldn't keep our water filled, but that was pretty much my only complaint, and for me that's awesome since I am the magnet for bad service everywhere I go.

Dave had the crabcakes, I had porridge, Jack had a plate size pancake, and Todd had their version of the All-American. We also got the unending bread basket with pb and j. Personally, I loved it so much I bought a jar of peanut butter to bring home.

Dave said the crabcakes were awesome. The porridge was, too. Fattening as all get out, considering it was made with cream, but sooooo yummy.

Jack loved the pancakes, and Todd was the only one not happy. Too much messing with his food. The pancakes are made with stone ground cornmeal. Too odd for him. The sausage was made from bison, which kinda freaked him out. "Tastes weird." He liked the potatoes, but for him, going to the normal greasy dive like "Our Kitchen" on 36th is more his speed.

For me, it was an adventure, but for almost 7 bucks a bowl,
I think
I'll just learn to make the porridge at home.

How should we rate? 4 stars being the highest? I would say I give it a 2.5-3. The food was, in my humble opinion, way better than average, but too busy, and too expensive for a regular brunch.

I think I just need to work on perfecting my hashbrowns,
my favorite place to eat is still my own house.


No comments: